Healthy start in kindergarten


Connecticut Medical Requirements for Enrollment in Kindergarten

  • The Health Assessment Form (HAR-3) is mandatory for kindergarten children. The required immunizations, physical examinations, and developmental and health screenings are all recorded on this form.
  • Families must show proof that their kindergarteners have received:
    • a series of required immunizations
    • a recent physical examination by a physician licensed to practice medicine in the United States.
  • Children enrolling in kindergarten must have received developmental as well as vision and hearing screenings.
  • Families can request exemption from immunization requirements based on either religious or medical grounds.
    • Based on Religious Beliefs
      • To be exempt, families must submit a statement that immunization is against their religious beliefs.
      • Fill out the Religious Exemption Statement here (CT Religious Exemption Statement). The form must be given to the school prior to enrollment and must be acknowledged and signed by one of the officials listed at the bottom of the form.
    • Based on Medical Reasons
      • To be exempt, families must submit a statement that their child should not be immunized for medical reasons.
      • Fill out the Medical Exemption Statement here (CT Medical Exemption Certification Statement). The form must be given to the school prior to enrollment.
  • Did You Know?

    Did you know that Help Me Grow has an Ages & Stages Program that will enable you to use the Ages & Stages Questionnaires to check on your child’s development from birth to age five and a half?

    You can register to receive periodic Ages & Stages Questionnaires. Just complete the questionnaires and return them to Help Me Grow for scoring. Help Me Grow will respond with the results and send you helpful fun activities to support your child’s learning and development until the next questionnaire arrives. To register to receive the Ages & Stages Questionnaires call Help Me Grow at 1-800-505-7000.

    The care coordinators who answer the phones can also chat with you about any questions you have about your child’s development and assist in finding support services you or your family might need.


Translate This Page »